7/27/2009

I Am A Companion

63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts. Psalms 119:63 (KJV)

I came across this verse in my morning devotional and I wondered if this was me. Am I a companion of all them that fears the Lord and keep His precepts? I hope I am, but sometimes I am not sure. I meet many people in the community and out of the community. I often wonder if their heart is right with God. I hear most people I meet say they are Christians, but most of the time I see no Christian application in their life. Then I remember where I came from. There was a time in my life when I was willing to do anything for God but I was taught I did not have to do anything. All I had to do was confess Jesus was savior and I was right with God. I was wrong then and I know many people are in this place now because of the many false teachers we have in our churches. We as Christians must understand we are part of a world wide church of believers. The people in Ephesus were part of the same body as the people in Corinth whether they agreed on everything or not. If we follow the bible as truth we will meet in the same place whether or not we try to. I have heard some people say that nothing is relative. This is a lie that the liberal denominations of today want all Christians to believe. Truth is NOT relative. Truth is absolute. WE must be resolute with the truth God has given us. There is absolutely no exception to this rule. So, who are the people referenced above? How do I know if a person fears the Lord and keeps His precepts?

29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Deut 5:29 (KJV)

This is God’s heart. This is what God wants for His people. He desires that His people have such a heart in them that they fear and keep all of His commandments. I pray I have this heart. I have told my family many times that we need to remember to FEAR THE LORD. Most churches do not have the reverence for the Lord that they need to fear the Lord. They definitely do not want to keep His commandments because that is legalism and to not be legalistic is more important than pleasing God, right? God’s word was written thousands of years ago. When was the term legalism created?

le·gal·ism clip_image001

Pronunciation: \ˈlē-gə-ˌli-zəm\

Function: noun

Date: 1928

1 : strict, literal, or excessive conformity to the law or to a religious or moral code

The word was created in 1928. Look at the definition. Imagine God’s people actually believing there should be strict, literal conformity to His law. I know the definition says excessive conformity to the law or moral code. We don’t want to do too much for God, do we?

4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Psalms 4:4 (KJV)

רגז

râgaz

raw-gaz'

A primitive root; to quiver (with any violent emotion, especially anger or fear): - be afraid, stand in awe, disquiet, fall out, fret, move, provoke, quake, rage, shake, tremble, trouble, be wroth.

That phrase, Stand in awe, is from the Hebrew word ragaz. This phrase means to quiver with any violent emotion, especially anger or fear. Here it is talking about fear. We can know someone fears the Lord by how they stand before Him. Have you ever went to the Lord to ask forgiveness for something and you quivered or trembled uncontrollably because you realized you sinned and you realized who you were really talking to? Maybe we should do this more often. He is GOD OF HEAVEN AND EARTH!! God’s people fear Him. They don’t see Him as their equal or their partner or their homeboy. Let’s look at Philippians 2

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13 (KJV)

How do God’s people work out their salvation, with fear and trembling? This is not the people that call themselves Christians today. People don’t fear God. They show up to church in cars that cost more than their house, they go into God’s sanctuary biblically naked speaking of things that are of Satan, wearing things God has specifically prohibited, and not wearing things God has commanded them to wear. They discuss the latest worldly things going on, in what is supposed to be a sanctuary to God. When the preacher comes up, they show him some respect as they sing lies to God and sit quietly (somewhat) while the preacher delivers a message. Then they all return to their whoredom and idolatry until next week. These are not the people that fear the Lord or keep his precepts. Ok now we are getting somewhere. These are definitely not the people mentioned in Psalms 119:63. So who are they?

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7 (KJV)

People who fear the Lord will obtain wisdom. Fools despise wisdom and instruction. The precepts of God ARE wisdom and instruction.

1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; 2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; 3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; 4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; 5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. Prov 2:1-5 (KJV)

There are so many places in the bible where fear is paired with wisdom and understanding. Why is this? This is simple. If we are wise we will fear the Lord. If we fear the Lord we will search for His wisdom and understanding. We are to search for people like this to be companions with. We are not supposed to settle for whom our companions are, but we are supposed to search for godly companions. Even if it takes our whole life. We have to make sure we accept those who are chosen by God. We must love those that obey God’s commandments and those that fear Him.

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)

Our companions should be ready and willing to tell anyone why they are who they are. If they are doing everything for the right reasons they will answer with meekness and fear. Meekness and fear, not fear of man either, but fear of God.

5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. Heb 13:5-6 (KJV)

When we do a good job at something, whether it is a construction job, homeschooling, computer programming, gardening, etc… or what ever we do, DO WE SAY THE LORD IS MY HELPER? Most of the times Christians do not do this either because they want the glory for what they have done or they do not want to sound like a religious freak. I hope the people of this world call me and my friends similar names. WE must not fear what man can do to us. We must live a strict, literal and excessive moral life. We must fear the Lord first of all things. Here are a couple more verses concerning the fear of the Lord.

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. Acts 10:35 (KJV)

1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Cor 7:1 (KJV)

There are so many passages that tell us to fear the Lord. I found 158 of them. I encourage everyone to continue to study on this topic because it is not something that our churches want to preach on anymore. Our companions should fear the Lord and if they don’t, well be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers. It is not possible for a person to truly say they believe in God and not live like they fear God. Even the devils believe and tremble. If anyone truly believes God is God, then they will live a life that honors God or they do not fear Him at all.

20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Prov 13:20 (KJV)

Choose your companions wisely. We must choose them wisely and we must also be willing to love all people who fear God and keep his precepts. These are the marks of true believers. This is not easy to find sometimes in our present world, but when you do find these people, you will have rest and peace. When you surround yourself with these people who have turned from the world and turned their faces on God, you will be able to have the peace that all men search for. Sure there are many professing Christians that say they have this peace and they say they fear the Lord and then they plan out their weekly schedule to fulfill their worldly desires.

Stand in Awe!! He is God. Look for other people who stand in awe and stand with them. Help unite the body of Christ and by searching for those who fear the Lord and keep His precepts.

17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. 1 Peter 2:17 (KJV)

Amen.

No comments: