12/02/2008

Be Still

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10 (KJV) What does the bible say about meditating? When we here about meditation we think about buddists or hindus or even new age people, but God’s word clearly tells us to meditate. The majority of scripture is in Psalms. David was a man after God’s own heart and he knew the importance of meditation. We are to be still. To be still means to be idle. Think of a car that is idling. It is ready to go at any time but it sits there patiently waiting for its pilot to tell it when to go. Now I know a car is a machine that does not have a choice but to sit there until the driver does something, but what if we could get to a point where we could sit idle and be patient and refuse to move until we here from God. When I say refuse to move I mean to refuse Satan and all of our enemies that distract us and hinder us from meditating with God. We will discuss this a little more later. First let’s look at the meaning of meditate. MED'ITATE, v.i. [L. meditor.] To dwell on any thing in thought; to contemplate; to study; to turn or revolve any subject in the mind; appropriately but not exclusively used of pious contemplation, or a consideration of the great truths of religion. 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Josh 1:8 (KJV) We are going to focus on meditating on the law and the Word of God. We must meditate day and night. In the definition above notice where it says to turn or revolve any subject in the mind. This means to go over something over and over. This is how we must meditate on the Word of God to find his will for us. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalms 1:2 (KJV) His delight is in the law of the LORD. Where do we look for our delights? The World, Food, New Things, Old Things, almost everywhere except in the law of the LORD. We should delight in the law not have a pity party because we have to do it or because we can’t do this or that. We should meditate on the law and enjoy doing it. We cannot meditate on anything that we do not like anyway. Sometimes we like the wrong thing and we meditate on that but we must love the LAW of the Lord. During bible study tonight Angie pointed out that David only had the first five books of the bible. This is the law of the Lord and this is what David delighted in. David did not have the promise of grace or the Holy Spirit. 4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Psalms 4:4 (KJV How can we sin if we stop and stand in awe of God. Imagine meditating on God and truly being in awe of who he is and understanding all he is. How can we sin and how can we be affected by the influences of Satan and this world if we truly stand in awe of God. When we are in awe of something we are completely focused on that one thing and nothing can distract us from it. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalms 19:14 (KJV) 3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding. Psalms 49:3 (KJV) 11 I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. 12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings. Psalms 77:11-12 (KJV) Notice how David put the mouth and the heart in the same places. When we pray we speak something, this is what we want from God. When we meditate with our heart we listen and desire to know what God wants from us. We learn to be receptive to the will of God instead of trying to get him to be receptive to our will. 10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. 11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:10-11 (KJV) In order for us to hide the word in our heart we must go over it over and over remember. We might not understand it when we study it but when we need it we will have it. David said that he has hid the word in his heart. The word is hidden so he might not know what it means until the time it is needed the most. 78 Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts. Psalms 119:78 (KJV) How many times have we had someone do something to us and we did not know why or there was not a reason and all we could think about was what they did to us. David meditated on God’s precepts when he was dealt with perversely without cause but we say “ I can’t believe what they did to me. I did nothing to them.” When we are attacked we should turn to God and wait. 97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day. 98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. Psalms 119:97-99 (KJV) Why can’t we say OH HOW I LOVE THY LAW? Why don’t we say “I am able to meditate alone with God, I can dress in a different way than the world, I can do without ungodly music, I can go without video, I can praise God anywhere I want to, I can live a separated life, and I can live a holy life.” God gave us his law and if we live by every little bit of it we are doing the will of God. We are not legalistic and we are not being self righteous because we want to please the God who created us and sent his son to this evil world to be tortured and murdered for our sins. What is wrong with loving the law and loving obedience to the Father? 63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming. Gen 24:63 (KJV) It was normal for Godly people to go out and meditate by themselves. Isaac had a certain time when he went to meditate. I believe he did this daily. We need to set time apart daily for God. If you are like me then you probably have things like, I just can’t find the time, I am too busy. If you can find time to do anything for yourself or anyone else then you have time for God. No exceptions. God should be first. I am not talking about time alone in the car or in the living room while others are outside or in another room. I mean time alone for a specific period of time. Try to sit somewhere read the Bible. Try and pray and see if you can keep a train of thought for a long period of time. You will think of everything but what you need to think of, grocery list, power bill, if you left the burner on, anything. If you try to spend time alone with God you will be distracted because Satan does not want you to become more like God. We live where Satan is the ruler. We live in enemy occupied territory where we are going to be attacked daily. So how do we find the place and the time to be with God? Let’s look at our example from Heaven. Let’s see what Jesus did when he was here in this enemy occupied territory. 36 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. Matt 26:36 (KJV) Why did he go yonder to pray? Why didn’t he have everyone circle up and pray together? Jesus knew the importance of meditating alone. 35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. Mark 1:35 (KJV) Jesus got up a great while before it was light and went alone, why? He needed to spend his quiet time with the Father and any other time there would have been someone else with him. Jesus made time and don’t say he had plenty of time, he was followed by crowds so he had to find the time and the place to be alone 16 And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed. Luke 5:15-16 (KJV) Go to the wilderness and pray. Your Lord did it so why don’t you. Jesus did it 2000 years ago and he didn’t have the distractions we do today. Find a quiet place in the woods and spend time with the Father and get to know him and his will for your life. God wants a relationship with his children and he wants to spend time with you. Remember, pray to God and then listen. Be ready to do whatever he tells you to do, be ready to say whatever he tells you to say and be ready and willing to go wherever he tells you to go. He loves you. God Bless You.

1 comment:

tdsutton4 said...

Brother Chris,

Thank you for this message. In the men's meetings at our church, the pastor has been teaching about having a quiet time with the Lord daily and this message went so perfectly with what they are talking about there that my husband used it in our family devotions this morning. I think we were all blessed by it.

May God bless you and your family!

The Suttons